Summer Storage for College Students
When summer rolls around, most college students will need to think about what they’re going to do with their dorm room items over the break. While students have a few options, taking advantage of a local personal self storage unit is often the easiest, most affordable, and most reliable solution. Below, we’ve provided a guide to summer storage for college students, including how it works and why you might need it.
What are some reasons college students would need summer storage?
There are plenty of reasons a college student might need to take advantage of summer storage, including:
- Moving off-campus. If you’re moving out of the dorms entirely and into an apartment of your own, summer storage can provide a great transitional storage solution.
- Lack of on-campus storage. If your college doesn’t allow students to keep their items in their dorm rooms over the summer, or doesn’t offer on-campus storage, a local off-site storage unit can come in handy.
- Ease of access. Summer storage will keep your belongings near campus, making it easy to move in and out whenever you wish. Plus, you won’t have to deal with the hassle of moving things back and forth between the dorm and your home.
As the cherry on top, storage units typically provide the perfect amount of storage space for dorm room and apartment-size belongings.
Finding the ideal size storage unit for students
College students typically don’t have too many belongings that need to go into storage, which means a standard sized storage unit will usually be perfect for their needs. Use our storage size guide and find deals at your local EZ Storage location here.
For most college students, a 5×5 storage unit will offer plenty of space. These units can hold a loveseat or small couch or futon, several medium-sized boxes, and other pieces of home decor. For students living in apartments or off-campus housing, a 5×10 storage unit might be necessary. These units can hold a regular-sized sofa or a twin bed, as well as smaller furnishings and several boxes.
What are some items from your dorm room that can go into storage?
Getting the most out of the space you have means being aware of just what you can put in storage. Storage units are useful for keeping a variety of items safe. Some items from your dorm room that you might want to put in storage include:
- Clothes. Whether you’re storing your winter clothes when spring comes around to give yourself more space, or simply making sure you don’t have to haul your entire wardrobe home over the summer, storage units are a great place to keep your clothing.
- Books. Books are critical for your coursework, but they’re also bulky and surprisingly heavy when you’re trying to move them. Placing them in a storage unit will keep them safe and near at hand.
- School supplies. If you have a printer, notebooks, folders, or any other school supplies that are central to your academic success, it’s a great idea to place them in storage so you’ll have them all on hand when the next academic year starts up.
- Electronics. TVs, stereos and music systems, keyboards, and other valuable electronics can be a pain to transport, and you even risk damaging them if they’re not transported safely. Used properly, a climate-controlled storage unit will keep your sensitive electronics safe over the summer.
- Vehicles. If you need a car for college but home is far away, it often doesn’t make sense to drive all the way back to store your car at home over the summer. In that case, putting your car into vehicle storage can be a great idea.
Reasons why you should consider EZ Storage
If you’ve made the decision to place some of your dorm room items in storage over the summer, you’ll probably have a few storage companies to choose from. EZ storage stands out as a safe, high-quality, reliable solution to all your storage needs. We offer:
- Convenient locations near colleges and universities, so you won’t have to transport your valuable items far.
- Appropriate storage unit sizes that meet the needs of college students, without breaking the bank.
- Flexible payment options to meet any budgetary constraints you might have.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? We’ve brought together answers to a few frequently asked questions about summer storage for college students below.
How do you store college stuff over the summer?
If you’re really lucky, your college will provide on-site storage over the summer. Otherwise, you’ll have two options: either store your college stuff at home over the summer or find a convenient off-site storage unit.
What size storage unit do I need for a dorm room?
Typically, a 5×5 storage unit will provide plenty of storage space for a standard dorm room, storing a loveseat or futon, boxes, and other small furnishings. For students living in an apartment with more items, a 5×10 storage unit might be necessary.
What do you need storage for in college?
There are a number of reasons you might need storage in college. Typically, students will store furnishings and other items in an off-site storage unit over the summer, when their dorms are closed. You might also need extra storage space if you plan on moving off-campus, or if you just want to cut down on the hassle of moving things back and forth between your home and the dorm.