Vehicle Storage Options for Cars, Trucks, and More
At EZ Storage®, we offer an assortment of storage options for your recreational, personal, and business vehicles. You can store your motorcycles, RVs, jet skis, ATVs, and work vans indoors or outdoors for convenience and safety. Available storage options vary based on location, and the expert staff at your local EZ Storage facility will help you find the best space for your vehicle. If you don’t have space on your own property to park your vehicle, or you have a company car that needs to be kept safe, visit us today!
Common Reasons for Using Vehicle Storage
The most common reasons for using vehicle storage are simply that you’re not using the vehicles frequently, and you might not have enough space for it at your home or office. Still, there are a wide variety of reasons you might choose to put a vehicle in storage, including:
- Company vehicles. If you own a small business and finally have enough capital to purchase a company car, you want to be sure it’s kept safe when not in use. You might not have a dedicated parking space for it at the office, and you want to keep it protected from the elements, and that’s where a vehicle storage space makes sense.
- Seasonal vehicles. One common reason people need vehicle storage is that they have a motorcycle, ATV, jet ski, boat, or RV that they can’t store on their property in the offseason. They only use these vehicles during the warmer months of the year, and when the colder weather arrives, they need to properly store their recreational vehicles.
- Protecting the investment. For special vehicles or designer cars, which might be more of an investment than an actual means of transportation, vehicle storage is a common option. The vehicle, and its value, are kept absolutely safe.
Benefits of Vehicle Storage Units
Especially in colder climates, vehicle storage units can offer a number of important benefits for you and your vehicle, including:
- Comfort and peace of mind. Being able to access your car in a safe storage unit won’t just make it less of a bother to drive your vehicle — you’ll also be able to relax, knowing your vehicle is safer than ever in a secure storage location.
- Weather protection. Extreme weather can slowly wear down your vehicle and create small damage that adds up over time. When you place your vehicle in a storage unit, you’ll know for a fact it’s safe from all types of weather-related damage.
- Preventing damage. Parking a vehicle for a long time outside won’t just expose it to the weather — other sources of damage, including tree branches, other vehicles, and even vandalism can place your car at risk.
How to Determine If You Need Vehicle Storage
Do you need to store your vehicle? Typically, if your vehicle is infrequently used, or you're running out of space to park or store it, it can be a great idea to place it in vehicle storage. This will also help prevent external damage to the vehicle, if that’s something you’re worried about.
If you have a particular job that takes you away from home for long periods of time, including military service members and travel nurses, you might also consider placing your vehicle into a storage unit.
Finally, if you view your car as an investment — say, you’re a classic car collector — you’ll likely want to protect that investment. In that case, placing your vehicle into vehicle storage will guarantee it’s safe, and that your investment continues to accrue value.
Security Features for Our Vehicle Storage Units
It’s an unfortunate truth that cars and trucks are vandalized and stolen. Even leaving your car for a few hours on a city street can leave it susceptible to theft or damage. If you don’t have a driveway or garage where you can park your vehicle, protect it by renting a monthly storage unit from us.
Our vehicle storage units offer a number of state-of-the-art security features, including 24-hour video surveillance, computer controlled gate access, and well-lit facilities that guarantee you’ll feel safe accessing your vehicle no matter when you visit. Contact us today for your vehicle storage!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below, we’ve brought together answers to some frequently asked questions about vehicle storage.
How much does it cost to keep a car in storage?
The average cost to store a car or RV will vary depending on location, but it will typically fall in the range of $45 to $450 a month. If you’re planning on renting a climate controlled unit, these prices will be slightly increased.
Can you store a vehicle in a storage unit?
Absolutely. Many storage units provide an indoor storage space for cars and other vehicles that’s similar to a garage.
What size storage unit will fit a car/trailer/RV/motorcycle?
Typically, a 20-foot vehicle storage unit will accommodate standard-sized trucks, cars, and motorcycles. Larger vehicles, including large trailers and RVs, will often need a 50-foot unit or outdoor parking.
How do I keep my car battery from dying while in storage?
The best thing to do is to start your car once a week and let it run for about ten minutes. A short drive around the block can help as well, providing just enough energy to recharge the batter.
Is it better to store a car with a full tank of gas or empty?
Ideally, you should fill the gas tank of your car completely full when you’re putting it into storage. An empty or even simply low gas tank can help to create condensation within the tank that can eventually lead to rust.
Should I disconnect my car battery when storing?
If you’re storing your vehicle for a long time, it’s a good idea to disconnect at least the negative terminal from your car battery. This will help to prevent unnecessary battery drain.
How do you jack up a car for long term storage?
Slip a piece of plywood under the stand of your jack to stop it from sinking into the asphalt or staining the floor. Four jacks should be placed beneath the car, and then jacked up to raise the vehicle.