Motorcycle Storage for the Winter Months
Storing your motorcycle during the winter months is a great way to keep it in top shape and ready for spring. However, your garage space may be limited or not have the requisite conditions. It can be difficult to know what size storage unit you need, what benefits they offer, how to find the best storage units for motorcycles, or even how much time will pass before you get back on the road again.
At EZ Storage®, we can help you find the ideal motorcycle storage option near you for as long as you need. This guide will help you understand all aspects of storing your bike so that when spring comes around again, you won’t have any trouble getting back on track.
What Size Storage Unit Do I Need for a Motorcycle?
When you’re ready to buy a storage unit, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Make sure the storage unit you’re considering can accommodate your motorcycle. You don’t want to end up with a unit that’s too small for the bike. Measure your motorcycle before buying a unit so that you know exactly how much space it’ll take up inside.
- One benefit of storing a motorcycle is that a small storage space is sufficient. You should have more than enough room to keep your bike and any accessories, such as saddlebags and helmets, in a 5′ by 10′ space. To get the ideal motorcycle storage near you, find your local EZ Storage facility here.
Benefits of Motorcycle Storage
During the spring and summer, you were able to park your motorcycle in the garage and keep your car or truck in the driveway, but now that winter is here, that arrangement may not work any longer. You’ll need to pull your car into the garage to protect it from rain, wind, and snow, and that leaves your bike without a place to go.
A seasonal self-storage unit can be the perfect alternative to trying to fit everything in your garage or asking your friends or family if you can store your bike on their property.
The benefits of motorcycle storage are numerous:
- Storing your motorcycle in a dedicated storage unit saves you storage space at home. Motorcycle storage can also keep your bike safe from theft and damage, in good working order, and reduce the need for repairs and maintenance.
- Motorcycle owners who store their bikes with storage partners in wintertime may find that their investment is protected by full winter protection, including climate control and robust security.
Steps to Take Before Storing Your Motorcycle
The first step in preparing for storage is inspecting your motorcycle. Here are a few steps to check off:
1. Check Tire Pressure
If you haven’t checked your tire pressure in a while, do so right away. It will keep your bike in good working condition for when you get back on the road. Use an air compressor with a gauge to get the right level of air pressure in each tire (you can find these at most hardware stores).
2. Adjust Brake Pads or Discs As Needed
This can help keep your bike from needing repairs later on down the road by fixing any worn spots and reducing friction between the pad and disc surface areas that touch each other during braking.
3. Check for Leaks
Check for leaks in cooling system components like hoses or tubes that may need tightening up before storage begins.
4. Drain The Gas and Oil
Motorcycle owners have varying opinions on whether or not to drain the gas and oil before putting a bike into long-term storage. You may have stored a bike before and left everything as it was, and the motorcycle started up perfectly the first time you took it out on the road. You may have also experienced the opposite, where you left the gas and oil in the bike, only to have it seize up the first time you started it.
If you know the ins and outs of your bike, then you should be able to make the best decision regarding the fluids inside the engine and gas tank. You can always drain the oil and put some fresh in come spring, and add some fuel stabilizer to the gas tank. If you’re unsure, it’s best to talk with a mechanic about what he or she would do regarding their own bike, and speaking to a motorcycle mechanic specifically can often put you on the right path.
Change your oil filter and clean and grease all moving parts in the engine, including the chain and sprockets. Check tires for wear or damage and replace any worn or damaged ones with new ones.
Check brakes to make sure they work properly and adjust as necessary. Also, ensure to lubricate cables, chains, and other moving parts before storage begins for best results.
What Should You Look for in a Storage Unit When Storing Your Motorcycle for the Season?
Here are a few tips to ensure you are getting the best storage units for motorcycles:
- Look for a storage unit that is climate controlled. This is important because it helps to keep your motorcycle in good condition and prevents damage. Check to ascertain how their storage process works.
- Look for a secure storage unit. You don’t want someone breaking in to steal your motorcycle, so be sure to look at how well-secured the building is and what security measures are in play.
- Make sure that whoever runs the business has good reviews on their website or app. You can also check out other websites like Yelp or Google Maps if there are any reviews.
Find Motorcycle Storage Near You
As you plan for storing your motorcycle, it’s important to take into account all these steps to keep your bike safe and well-maintained. When you take the time to prepare and inspect your bike, you’ll be able to get back on the road quickly when warmer temperatures and sunny skies return.
Now that you know everything you need to know about storing your motorcycle for the season, you can now rest assured knowing your options.
At EZ Storage®, we want you to enjoy your motorbike ride. We, therefore, offer a range of storage units for motorcycles. You are welcome to bring your bike to any of our locations, and we will find you a great place to store it for a few months. Rather than sit in your garage, the bike will be kept in a safe storage facility, shielded from the elements.
If you have any concerns about storing vehicles, including what size storage unit to get or what to do before storing a motorcycle for an extended period, our staff will be happy to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today!