Located in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Monroeville is just 10 miles east of Pittsburgh and boasts a population of nearly 30,000. A suburb with mixed residential and commercial developments, Monroeville also has home rule status, meaning it was incorporated under its own unique town charter.
Living in Monroeville
Monroeville is an excellent place to live in Pennsylvania, offering residents plenty of bars, restaurants, and parks, as well as a highly affordable cost of living. Its mixed residential and commercial development, as well as its proximity to Pittsburgh, mean you’ll always have something to do — plus, if you’re bringing up kids, it’s hard to beat the town’s schools.
Local Communities in Monroeville
Monroeville is just east of Pittsburgh, so you’ll always have something to do, but the township itself is full of activities and communities.
Monroeville is largely served by the Gateway School District, which serves just over 3,000 students.
- Elementary schools. Evergreen Elementary School, Ramsey Elementary School, University Park Elementary School, Penn Hills Elementary School.
- Middle/Junior High/High schools. Gateway Middle School, Gateway Senior High School, Mosside Middle School, Penn Hills High School, Westinghouse Arts Academy Charter High School.
- Colleges/higher education. Penn State Greater Allegheny, Waynesburg University Monroeville Campus, Western School of Health and Business, Bella Capelli Beauty Academy, CCAC Boyce Campus.
- Malls and plazas. Monroeville Mall, Miracle Mile Shopping Center, Blue Spruce Shoppes.
- Notable businesses. Bechtel Machinery, Cochran Auto Group, Andersen Windows, Philips Electronics, Allegheny Petroleum, Huntley and Huntley.
Moving to Monroeville
Monroeville is a charming community, and you shouldn’t let the ordinary hassle of moving cloud your experience of putting down roots. To make finding a place to live easier, we’ve brought together some popular housing options in Monroeville below.
Apartments, condos, and living centers in the area
- Apartments. Monroeville Apartments, Eagle Ridge Apartments, Deauville Park Apartments, Walnut Crossings, Belmont Ridge Apartments.
- Condominiums. Franklin Towne Condominiums, Newport Square Condominiums, Glenwood Condominium Association.
- Assisted living. Juniper Village at Monroeville, Independence Court of Monroeville, Abode Care of Monroeville, Arden Courts of Monroeville, Sunrise Senior Living Communities, Redstone Highlands Senior Community.
Parks, trails, and other attractions
In addition to a number of country clubs, including Edgewood Country Club, Murrysville Country Club, Westmoreland Country Club, and Oakmont Country Club, the area around Monroeville offers a wide variety of activities for all ages.
- Boyce Park. This park of more than 1,000 acres features the only downhill skiing and snow tubing hills in Allegheny County.
- Steel City Indoor Go Karts.ther at this local favorite.
- Lokay Lanes Bowling. Snack on some pizza while you're knocking pins down at this classic bowling alley.
- SkyZone Trampoline Park. Touch the sky at this play center that’s perfect for kids of all ages.
- McDain Golf Centers. Grab some instruction or just hit the driving range at this casual golf center.
- Monroeville Community Park West. This 66-acre park is packed with activities and amenities, including a pavilion and grill, restrooms, a playground, sports fields and a disc-golf course.
- Old Stone Church. Built in 1802, this charming stone church is perfect for a casual day trip.
- Kennywood. Opened in 1899, this fun-filled amusement park is an old Pennsylvania favorite.
- Sandcastle. Getting a little hot at Kennywood? Cool off at this fantastic and utterly massive water park.
When you’re prepping for your big move, don’t forget that a seamless self-storage solution can make the entire experience less stressful. At EZ Storage, we offer a wide variety of sizing options, so you’ll be sure to find something that meets your needs perfectly.
We’ve brought together some answers to a few common questions about living in Monroeville.
What’s it like to live in Monroeville PA?
Monroeville offers residents a dense suburban atmosphere and a community filled with bars, restaurants, and parks. A popular destination in Pennsylvania, Monroeville also has excellent public schools.
What is Monroeville PA known for?
Besides being an excellent place to live, Monroeville is known for its planned industrial development and company research facilities. For instance, the National Science Foundation has a supercomputing center there.